Tuesday, October 02, 2007

So...Long time no see...

I'm sorry that I haven't posted to the blog in awhile. Just...ah. So little time, so much to do, so few computers free in cafes. Here we go! Mostar...wow. Where do I begin? I met so many amazing people that I can't even give names. The workshops that were facilitated in the hotel were outstanding, even if Marina had to translate most of them for me(thank you so much, dear!!). It was really neat to compare the problems and positives of schools in the US to the problems and positives of schools in Bosnia-Herzegovina. We have a lot of the same negative issues in our education systems, but we can learn useful ideas from each school system; like more creative learning in schools in BiH, and more intensive language programs in the USA. Međugorje was an amazing experience. We asked this lovely woman from Ireland if she would show us the way to Apparition Hill. She was so warm to us. She said "The Holy Mother has called you here. Even if you bought the tickets and planned the trip and rented the car, She called you to come to Bosnia." The kind of faith shown by the people of Međugorje was unbelievable. It was a ridiculous climb to get to the top of the hill. Half of it was unpaved and 1/4 of that half was rocks on the side of the hill. A "rocky road" really doesn't begin to describe this structure. There were people climbing up barefoot, people who were walking with canes, people carrying the disabled. It was amazing to see. If you want to see faith, don't go to Notre Dame, don't go to St. Patrick's, go to Međugorje. Our stay in Zenica was a complete blur it went by so quickly. Berina and her family were so kind to us! We all had a wonderful time! Visiting the economics school was reallz interesting. I spoke with a young woman who was muslim about what Americans think about people of her faith. She didn't like Americans because she thought that we all thought people of her faith were terrorists. After speaking with her, it was really great to see that we understood one another, had a lot in common, and that of course there was so little difference between us and our faiths. Now we are in Livno!! :D I have to go soon because we are going out. I will try to post more often. LOVE YOU ALL!!!!!!!! Margot