Wednesday, October 03, 2007
The past few days...
It's been a few days since I've had a chance to Blog so I'll spare you some of the details and share the highlights of what's been going on. We had a great time in Mostar at the reunion. It was so nice to see so many familiar faces and visit with people that we hadn't seen in over a year. After Mostar we visited Medgurje for the day then headed to Zenica. We had a great time visiting museums, and Vranduk the old fortress. We also had the chance to visit Bernia's school where our students gave another great presentation about life in Delaware. There were some great conversations in the class and the students from Zenica asked some great thought provoking questions. The following day we had the opportunity to meet with the Minister of Education for the Canton. She was great; you can tell that under her leadership this area of the country will have great academic sucess.
After Zenica we travled to Livno where I have had the pleasure of staying with Davorka and her family. Her husband and son and parents have been really great and I've had a wonderful time staying with them. Her son Zlatko is two and a half and full of energy and things to say. Yesterday we looked at pictures of motorcycles, and today we played with building blocks and animals. Did I mention that he only speaks Croatiaon and I only speak English? It's been a lot of fun playing with him.
Yesterday evening we learned about the project that the Livno group has been working on. In partnership with the World Hope International organization they ran a very successful Eco Camp over the summer, and also taught a lot of classes based on the things they had learned in the US. It was very evident that this group worked very hard and they did a great job at it!
We had a great trip to Split in Croatia today. Our tour guide Ivana told us all about the history of Diocleasean's summer palace that makes up the center of Split. It was a great history lesson; we were up close and personal with some of the old tables they ate at and rooms they lived in.
We've had a great time in Livno and as is true with every city I'm sorry that we couldn't stay longer. But we are looking forward to all that awaits us in Sarajevo!