Friday, October 05, 2007

Sarajevo-Banja Luka-Belgrade-Home

Sarajevo was great! We were able to visit a school and meet with a class from the IB school, where they gave us a great presentation about the history of Sarajevo and Bosnia and Herzegovina. After that we met with Gregg Wiitala, a former 4-H'er, at USAID. He was great to talk to and really spoke about where future careers in AG can lead to. Gregg has worked in Kenya and now Bosnia Herzegovina, among other places, and has had a very interesting life. We were all very captivated by what he said. After our meeting with Gregg we were able to learn about a program called Civitas that promotes civic education throughout Bosnia Herzegovina. A big thank you to Kim Murphy, a cultural attache from the US Embassy, for showing us around and introducing us to so many great people. We did a short tour of Sarajevo that night, and then headed back to the hotel to get some work done. The students have been working really hard on their school work and learning as much as they can about each city we are in. Today we had another great opportunity to meet with the US Ambassador to Bosnia Herzegovina, Ambassador English. Just like the first time we met him it was another great meeting. Ambassador English asked each of the 4-H'ers to speak about their experiences they have had, how their opinions have changed, and what they plan to do when they return home. We are all so appreciative of him for making time to meet with us again. I would also like to thank Lejla and Goranca and the driver Haris for all that they have done to make our visit so wonderful. We had a nice dinner in Banja Luka and now Kathy and I are relaxing at Natasa's house. Tomorrow will be a long day of driving to Belgrade and I'm sure there will be lots of sleeping in the car. We will probably see Nina in Belgrade, catch a few hours of sleep, and then it will be off to the airport. It should be rather interesting to figure out how we're going to fit all of us into cab's with all of our luggage. (At this point I wouldn't be surprised if my luggage weighs about as much as I do). It's been a really great trip and we'll all have so many stories and pictures to share. I really want to thank everyone here in Bosnia Herzegovina again for all that they have done. You all went to so much trouble to make our stay so fabulous and I thank you all so much for that!