Thursday, September 27, 2007

Life in Tuzla

After about a four hour trip yesterday, which I am proud to say I only slept through about 30min of, we made it to Tuzla where our friends were waiting to greet us. Big hugs came from Arijana, Naida, Ana, and Haris and some new friends Marijana, and Marina. They took us to a old style Bosnian restaurant where we had a lovely meal and great conversation. Kathy and I traveled back to Arijana's house where we met her husband Almir and her son Dino. Dino is an adorable four year with a lot of energy, and he loves teenage mutant ninja turtles and spider man. We stayed up and chatted for a while before catching some sleep before today's big day. We started out today with a great breakfast before traveling to the Catholic high school where our delegation gave two presentations. They all did a fabulous job representing Delaware and 4-H! We had some meetings at the library and then went to the elementary school where Arijana teaches. There, we gave three presentations and the 4-H'ers where the stars of the school. You would think Johnny was a rock star the way they all fawn over him and just adore him. Today he was signing autographs and taking pictures like a pro. The girls were very popular too; I think the most common questions were about what kind of music they all liked and who were their favorite actors. Each of the 4-H'ers did an excellent job presenting and interacting with the Bosnian students; it was truly a pleasure to watch them all. We went to a castle after we finished at the elementary school. The road we took to get there was very steep and narrow, and you had to look out for the occasional cow in the middle of the road. Mark had a lovely time driving up and even more fun coming down. The castle was amazing...be sure to see all of the pictures we took. We had a great dinner and then took a nice long walk through Tuzla. Mark, and Kathy and I all came back to Arijana's where we had more food, are you noticing a trend here, and enjoyed visiting for a while. And now it is time to get ready for bed, because tomorrow will be packed again and we are traveling to Mostar. I want to thank both the group in Banja Luka and the group in Tuzla for planning so many things for us to do during our visits. We've had a great trip so far, and I really can't believe tomorrow is Friday all ready!