Wednesday, September 19, 2007

Impressions of Friday

To add to Stephanie's post, I wanted to mention some more of what I got out of Friday's D.C. meetings. Just to comment on the room that we were in for our meeting with the staff member of the Senate Foreign Relations Committee: it was amazing. It was the room that they hold hearings for the Senate Foreign Relations Committee. I didn't realize how huge that was until about halfway through the discussion with Mr. Bruder. It really made me wonder how many world leaders had sat there and done exactly what we're doing right now. It was amazing. Before Friday, I never realized how much of a big deal this trip is. I knew that it was a wonderful experience, of course. But I never realized that this wasn't just a "because we can" kind of trip. This is the real thing. We're going over there to establish connections that all of us, both in the United States and Bosnia i Hercegowina, will remember for the rest of our lives, and in turn, we're establishing connections so that in the future we will have a better understanding of one another. Ambassador English really put it into perspective for all of us. Stephanie and I came out of that meeting and she said "Yes, I get it now!" I think that was how we were all feeling. (I've packed my clothes! and they all fit in one bag! :D)