Tuesday, January 30, 2007

Wild Horses

Hello to all! How are you? What´s up? I have something interesting for you all...so lets start... about 20 years ago...there were couple of gently horses who were left on their own...after the war they were seen on the hills nearby... and it was a quite small herd...from that time their number had increased...and now i can proudly say that we have about 150 half-wild horses running freely on the hills... every winter they come on the roads and lick the salt (which is sprinkled on the roads to melt the ice)...and in the last few years there had been some accidents in which horses always lose...because the cars are stronger... last week there were two killed horses... So now some of my friends and I, with some other people try to prevent those accidents by bringing some food in these winter days on the hills. Now, the horses are accustomed on all of us...and they take food from our fist (just remember, they are half-wild)... Yesterday we´ve been on Borova Glava Hills and I took some pictures to show you guys how does they look like and just to prove you that in Livno we´ve got one of the last herds of wild horses in Europe. :) In the last issue of the Croatian National Geographic magazine they made a very good reportage about those horses. At this moment the government hasn´t got any intent to make their lives better....but they said that they will do something....because the tourism potential is big... we have seen some Dutch people who work in OSCE who came there to make pictures...but they were scared when the horses came to them (the horses think that they brought food).... hehehe When we came yesterday one mare gave birth to a stallion...it was really fantastic to see his first steps in the cruel nature. So people... enjoy the pictures... I hope that you all can now realize that not every species is being driven to extinction, because Livno represents a good example that everyone can contribute to something to go forward. your Toni (hope i was good with that text) click here

3 comments:

Larry said...

Toooni,

Great work. You are the man. This article came at a most opportune time for us here in Delaware. On Monday, our sort of adopted race horse, Barbaro, lost his battle with broken bones and had to be put down. I think the entire country was saddened by that news. But here you come with a really heart warming story of man (you and friends) doing what you can to help the horses. Keep up the good work.

I still hope to see you one day soon in Bosnia.

Larry

Katie Daly said...

Toni,
This is such a wonderful thing that you and your friends have taken on. The pictures are amazing! It's so interesting to me to see the connections that are made between people and animals. I hope all is well in Bosnia, keep us updated on how things go!
~Katie

Joyce said...

Hi Toni,
I loved the pictures of Cincar Mountain and the beautiful horses that live there. How spectacular that you can feed them. You are a good photographer! Thanks for sharing your part of the world. I will share these pictures with horselovers from this side of the ocean.
Joyce